It’s been awhile since I’ve posted a recipe so here’s a new recipe that I tried from Clean Eating magazine. I wouldn’t rate it as the most excellent recipe, but it was pretty darn good. Probably could use a bit more spices to it though to add a little more flavor.
- 1 lb ground turkey (I used ground beef instead)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup of whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (I left this out)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 15 oz can of low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups diced vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions: In a bowl combine turkey/beef, egg whites, bread crumbs, salt and pepper and mix well. Shape into golf ball sized meatballs (approximately 14-16 meatballs). Then in a large skillet heat oil and cook the meatballs 3-5 minutes turning frequently. Add corn, beans, tomatoes, broth, lime juice and cumin and mix. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 3-5 minutes. Once meatballs are cooked through add cilantro and serve. This is definitely a quick meal to make, but like I said I would definitely add some more spices to it because when I made it I thought it was a tad bland. Give a shot though!
Nutrition per serving (4 meatballs and 1 cup of mixture): Calories: 320 Total Fat: 4.5 g Sat. Fat: 0g Carbs: 32g Fiber: 7g Sugars: 5g Protein 37g