Let’s be honest… I have yet to meet someone that doesn’t like some good ‘ole mac & cheese! If you don’t, then you’re not American. Lol. Growing up, we were never allowed to get Kraft mac & cheese, so when I went off on my own, I had an obsession for the box variety, but now that I’m getting older and maturing… Okay.. not really maturing, just getting older, I have found an appreciation for homemade mac & cheese once again. I’ve tried a few different recipes and so far this has been hands down my fav! I actually made this last night with pulled pork for a group of friends and they all loved it! I found this lovely creation at That Which Nourishes website.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb. of noodles (used macaroni)
- 6 cups of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 stick + 2 TBSP butter, divided
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 TBSP salt
- 1TBSP pepper
- 4 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of panko bread crumbs
- Cook your macaroni or pasta as directed on package.A
- While that’s cooking, in a large sauce pan melt 1 stick of butter, then slowly whisk in 1/2 cup of flour, stirring frequently. It will create a thick sauce.
- Add in 1 TBSP of salt and pepper.
- Next slowly add in milk, whisking constantly. Bring sauce to a low boil, continuing to whisk til it’s a nice thick consistency. Almost similar to gravy.
- Grease a 9×13 glass dish. Pour cooked macaroni in the dish and sprinkle your 6 cups of cheddar on top.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Pour your gravy like milk sauce over the pasta and cheese. Let it sit for a minute so that the cheese melts.
- While that’s happening… in another pan (or rinsed milk pan) melt the other 2 TBSP of butter and add panko bread crumbs, stir constantly for 2-5 minutes til golden brown.
- Then mix your macaroni, milk sauce and cheese all together. Cheese should be nice and melted by now.
- Then sprinkle your perfectly golden bread crumbs on top.
- Pop it in the oven for 15 minutes and you’ve got some hearty mac & cheese for all to enjoy! Eat up!